Sunday, January 24, 2016

MothFlip, a hastily slapped together PC-RPG

Would you believe I also make video games? Well, I did that one time, anyway! Here's a little JRPG I made using RPG Maker VX Ace, about an alien (Moth) crashing on a planet and having to collect the parts of his ship from the minions of an evil wizard. Along the way, he joins forces with a magical swordsman (Flip).

This is thus far my only video game project, and it ended up being a one-and-done situation. For whatever reason, once I put this game together, I guess the itch was scratched, and I've just never dipped back into the well. Maybe I'll give it a swing again in the future, but I guess as much as I like video games, I just don't really have the design since for them.

Anyway, this game isn't especially difficult (there's even a level up cheat you can exploit if you just want to rush through it), but hopefully it will be entertaining, regardless. If you don't use the level up cheat, and fight every monster and do everything, the game should take only about an hour to an hour-and-a-half to get through. With the cheat, and ignoring non-boss monsters, you can probably do it in 15 minutes. As with any good RPG, a little exploration is needed to find everything.

The game also lacks music, since I didn't like my available options, and this was just a test run anyway. The sounds of the game are still present, though, so careful on the volume. I did do a couple of original sprites, namely Moth, Flip, Moth's portrait, and the space ship. Otherwise, everything else is entirely assets from the Maker.

EDIT: You can now download the game, or watch a comment-less playthrough video if you don't feel like playing (might want to lower your volume for the sound effects) from my google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_rRZMlbJABj2i0VNUASQ1AHKolQETpCq?usp=sharing

3 comments:

  1. For a test run, it was fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had fun with Mothflip! (Or is it Moth-Flip? Moth and Flip? MOFLIP?)
    The signs were cute. Haxxor was a life-saver, lol. Also, levelled up Flip > Moth. I SAID IT.
    But man, sending me into mobs for keys = SADISM. XD
    Overall, a fun little game for an evening. Thanks for your work! =)

    ReplyDelete